Psychotherapy/counseling sessions are available mornings, afternoons, and evenings, Monday through Sunday, by appointment.
Average session length is between 45 and 50 minutes.
We provide services to:
- Individuals (adults only)
- Families (children are seen when accompanied by their parent or guardian)
- Groups (we offer a wide variety of groups designed to meet your specific needs)
- Organizations (including teams, departments, students, staff, faculty, etc.)
We offer psychotherapy/counseling services in English and Spanish. Our clients are from various racial and economic backgrounds, and have a diversity of emotional disturbances. In concurrence with our theoretical approach, we strive to collaborate with our clients and to recognize each person's unique life history. Consequently, as much as is possible, we try not to apply mental health labels to our clients. Our practitioners are highly trained in a variety of mental health specialties, but we do not promote any particular specialties, as this would be inconsistent with our psychotherapeutic approach and undermine our ability to recognize the unique subjective experience of each client.
Our Therapeutic Model
We have an optimistic view of human nature and its creative powers. We believe every person has the capacity to resolve difficulties and improve his/her life. In order to function optimally, people need a favorable and positive environment. Our role is to facilitate that environment. Although we embrace a holistic approach that integrates different methods, our focus is always on the client. Our model follows Humanistic Psychology, specifically the work of Carl Rogers and the Person-Centered Approach.
The Therapeutic Process
The therapeutic process is a collaborative effort between therapist and client. Together, we identify underlying needs and explore solutions to problems by strengthening the natural tools of self-esteem, communication, and coping skills.
Common reasons individuals enter therapy with us include:
- Problems that cause conflict, difficulties or emotional distress or discomfort
- Relationship problems and issues with family, spouses, partners, significant others, friends, coworkers, neighbors or other people
- To gain greater self-understanding, to understand underlying needs, self-actualization
- Job stress, job loss and career change
- Major life changes, such as marriage, divorce, parenthood, sexuality, sexual orientation, relocation
- Death of loved ones
- Change of belief systems such as religion or lifestyle
Our therapists each charge according to a separate fee schedule. Financial assistance may be available.
Each of our therapists accepts a different assortment of insurance plans. Among the ones we accept are:
- Empire Blue Cross/ Blue Shield
- First Health
- Guardian Insurance
- Health First
- Magellan Behavioral Health
- Oxford Health Plans
- PHCS (Private Healthcare Systems)
- United HealthCare & United Behavioral Health
- WellCare of New York & US Family Health Plan
We accept other insurance plans not listed here. Please contact us for more information.
Please note that most insurance companies require a co-payment. We recommend you contact your insurance provider to determine the co-payment amount and other benefit restrictions. We accept payment in cash, money order, or personal check. We do not accept credit card payments at this time.